Presented by East London Dance
A entertaining programme of stunning professional dance performance from London's best dance talent.
East London Dance takes over New Street Square to present an entertaining live programme of stunning professional dance performances, shining a light on London's amazing dance talent from stage and screen. Everyone is invited to this hidden gem in the City, to enjoy spectacular dance performances and listen to soulful and uplifting music from local DJs. Plus a special performance from Mr Wilson's Second Liners to get everyone nostalgic for 90's parties. Let us make Thursdays the new Saturday and get the City dancing!
Enjoy an unforgettable summer evening of performances from:
- John-William, a dance theatre maker and director from Leeds, whose work is highly theatrical and tragi-comedic. They draw influence from Surrealism, the comedy of the mundane, nostalgia and time.
- Chandenie Gobardhan, London-based, Netherlands-born dancer and choreographer, whose movement vocabulary is rooted in dance forms such as Bharatanatyam, street styles and contemporary. They therefore enjoy building bridges between dance styles, where others might not see that possibility.
- Rugged Estate, one of the UK's leading Krump collectives.
- Roots and More, an energetic afro dance collective led by Cori D. They use various modern and traditional african dance styles such as Bikutsi, coupé décalé, Ndombolo and afro house, as well as Hip-hop styles to celebrate the power of freedom, healing and connection.
Dates: 31 August
Times: 5:30pm - 8pm
- 5.30pm - DJ Turbo
- 6pm - Chandenie Gobardhan
- 6:20pm- John-William Watson
- 6:50pm- Rugged Estate
- 7:10pm- Roots and More
- 7.30pm- Mr Wilson's Second Liners
Location: New Street Square
Duration: 2.5 hours
What to expect: Dance / Performance / Live music
About East London Dance
East London Dance is here to champion and grow east London’s dance scene.
Our doors are open to all. Through our projects, classes, courses and events, we are here for everyone with an interest in expressing themselves through dance. From those with a simple passion for movement, to the creative leaders who go on to form professional dance companies.
We produce and champion boundary-breaking performances and events of all sizes that are led by and bring together artists, producers and participants from our local communities. Trusting in their ambition and placing them at the centre of our decision making is how we give light to the issues that matter and drive the social change we all desire.
East London Dance is committed to inclusivity, equity and accessibility and to representation of the diverse east London communities we serve. We welcome and celebrate all protected characteristics across our programme participants, audiences and staff.
'One of the most extraordinary theatrical events I have seen in a long, long while…' - **** The Guardian
'Young people, professional dancers, singers & musicians, superb choreography. Exhilarating!' - Audience quote
'This event shows how important it is to support organisations like @EastLondonDance such an inspiring project encouraging the next generation of artists' - Audience quote